Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

I am a congressional employee designated to purchase coverage on the Exchanges and currently enrolled in a health benefits plan via the DC SHOP. Will I need to be re-designated if I terminate employment in a congressional office and am reemployed in another congressional office after a break of four days or more?

Yes. After a break in service of four days or more, you will be treated as a new employee. Your new position will need to be evaluated and the Member of Congress for whom you work will need to designate you as either “official office” staff or not “official office” staff. Your previous enrollment in a health benefits plan will be terminated and you will need to reenroll. However, OPM has determined that if you are reemployed by the same Member of Congress, within the same calendar year, the annual designation made by that Member will remain in effect and you will maintain the same eligibility for DC SHOP enrollment.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.