Click here to skip navigation
This website uses features which update page content based on user actions. If you are using assistive technology to view web content, please ensure your settings allow for the page content to update after initial load (this is sometimes called "forms mode"). Additionally, if you are using assistive technology and would like to be notified of items via alert boxes, please follow this link to enable alert boxes for your session profile.
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Classification

  • Federal employees who call our offices to get information about filing a classification appeal frequently ask how long will it take to get a decision and what are their chances of receiving a favorable decision.  Because of the investigative work and analysis that we must do in each case, we cannot answer that question in individual cases.  However, we can provide an historical perspective. In about 85 percent of cases, the classification or grading of the job does not change.  Of the remaining 15 percent, recent trends show more positions or jobs are downgraded or result in another unrequested change than are upgraded. Although the OPM-certified grade may be higher or lower than the grade assigned by the agency, this does not necessarily mean that the grade of the employee in the position will automatically go up or down.  An agency has a number of options available to it when complying with an OPM appeal decision.
    How well did this answer your question? Submit
    Submitting rating...
    Thank you for your feedback!
    An error occurred while trying to submit your feedback.
    Please try again later.
  • By law, we must base our decision on the work assigned to your position by your agency and performed by you; the qualifications required to perform that work; and the proper application of published classification or job grading standards and guides. Our decision cannot compare your position to other positions or jobs; and our decision cannot consider such things as qualifications you have that are not required to perform the work of your position or job, how well you perform your work, or how much work you do.
    How well did this answer your question? Submit
    Submitting rating...
    Thank you for your feedback!
    An error occurred while trying to submit your feedback.
    Please try again later.
  • A representative can assist in preparing and presenting an appeal.  The representative has the same obligation as the appellant to cooperate in processing the appeal, including relaying instructions from OPM to the appellant and promptly providing information to OPM upon request.  A representative has no right to be present or participate in an OPM General Schedule appeal audit or interview with the appellant (See section 511.608 of title 5, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)) and may not be present to participate in a Federal Wage System appeal audit or interview (See 5 CFR 532.705(c)).
    How well did this answer your question? Submit
    Submitting rating...
    Thank you for your feedback!
    An error occurred while trying to submit your feedback.
    Please try again later.
  • Yes, you may withdraw your appeal at any time before we issue a decision.  We may cancel your appeal if you or your designated representative fail to provide requested information or if you leave the position that is being appealed.
    How well did this answer your question? Submit
    Submitting rating...
    Thank you for your feedback!
    An error occurred while trying to submit your feedback.
    Please try again later.

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.

Working...