Page Revision: 6/7/2012 5:06:40 PM
Training & Performance Management
Performance Management is the systematic process by which an agency involves its employees, as individuals and members of a group, in improving organizational effectiveness in the accomplishment of agency mission and goals.
The singular function of training within performance management is to help produce change. Training facilitates the upgrading of a person’s skill or the addition of a new skill, which in turn can bring about the desired change an agency is seeking at the individual level and/or at the organizational level.
It is important to understand that training in and of itself cannot improve performance. However, training is an integral part of what is needed to accomplish individual and organizational goals.
The purpose of this page is to provide agencies with:
- Tools to train executives on the Basis Appraisal System
- Resources to assist in training employees, supervisors, managers and executives on performance measurement and performance management
- Resources on using analytics
Memoranda related to performance management
- Making the Right Connections: Targeting the Best Competencies for Training
This webcast features the Merit Systems Protection Board study on the trainability of competencies. This study is useful in determining methods of training for various competenies.
- OPM’s Training Evaluation Field Guide
This video provides a synopsis of OPM's Training Evaluation Field Guide. Agencies should use the field guide to evaluate the effectiveness of their training and training programs.
- NRC New Supervisor Training—Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) & National Cancer Institute (NCI)
These webcasts are examples of how agencies consider training in the the performance of their supervisors (the NCI training begins at 26:55)
Performance Management Training & Presentations
- SES performance appraisal system slides
- ODNI Suite of Courses on Performance Management (on www.hru.gov)
Performance Measurement Training/Presentations
Using Analytics Training/Presentations
Other Government-wide Resources
U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO)
U.S. Congressional Research Service (CRS)
American Evaluation Association (AEA)