Page Revision: 7/26/2012 4:52:38 PM
Training & Performance Management
Performance Management is the systematic process by which an agency involves its employees, as individuals and members of a group, in improving organizational effectiveness in the accomplishment of agency mission and goals.
The singular function of training within performance management is to help produce change. Training facilitates the upgrading of a person’s skill or the addition of a new skill, which in turn can bring about the desired change an agency is seeking at the individual level and/or at the organizational level.
It is important to understand that training in and of itself cannot improve performance. However, training is an integral part of what is needed to accomplish individual and organizational goals.
The purpose of this page is to provide agencies with:
- Tools to train and inform executives and other interested stakeholders on the Basic SES Appraisal System
- Resources to assist in training employees, supervisors, managers and executives on performance measurement and performance management
- Resources to assist in training on using analytics
Memoranda/publications related to performance management and using analytics
- Making the Right Connections: Targeting the Best Competencies for Training
This webcast features the Merit Systems Protection Board study on the trainability of competencies. This study is useful in determining methods of training for various competenies.
- OPM’s Training Evaluation Field Guide
This video provides a synopsis of OPM's Training Evaluation Field Guide. Agencies should use the field guide to evaluate the effectiveness of their training and training programs.
- NRC New Supervisor Training—Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) & National Cancer Institute (NCI)
These webcasts are examples of how agencies consider training in the the performance of their supervisors (the NCI training begins at 26 min:55sec)
OPM is currently hosting a series of webcasts on using analytics led by agencies identified as Best Practice agencies in the President's FY 13 Budget and in the Partnership for Public Service's publication From Data to Decisions. We will post the webcasts shortly.
Performance Management Products
Performance Measurement Products
Using Analytics Products
Current, Free Training/Webinars
Performance Improvement Community MAX site
For up-to-date information and training from the Performance Improvement Community please log onto their MAX site
Accessing the Site/Joining the Community
1. If you do not have a MAX account, register for an account at: https://max.omb.gov/maxportal/registrationForm.action
2. Once you have registered, or if you already have an account, you can join the community for this site by clicking here: https://max.omb.gov/maxportal/register/group/AGY-OMB-PICCONTRIBUTE
Note: Once you have joined the community, you can also access the site through this link: https://max.omb.gov/community/display/OMB/Performance+Management+Information+Resources+-+A+Community+Site
Becoming a member of the community enables you to view and download information from the site. Additional permissions may be added for community members as the site evolves.
U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO)
U.S. Congressional Research Service (CRS)
American Evaluation Association (AEA)