Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

What records are needed for my life insurance?

Your Official Personnel Folder should contain a record of your current Federal life insurance coverage on a Standard Form 2817, "Life Insurance Election", and, if appropriate, your current life insurance designation of beneficiary, Standard Form 2823.

If there is no designation of beneficiary, benefits will be paid in the following order:

  1. Your widow or widower.
  2. Your children in equal shares.
  3. Your parents in equal shares.
  4. Your appointed executor or administrator of your estate.
  5. Your next of kin under the laws of the state you reside in when you die.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.