Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

How do I provide a survivor benefit for my child?

You do not have to do anything. Benefits to eligible children are automatically provided by law.

To be eligible, a child must be unmarried, under age 18, and dependent on you. To continue to be eligible for benefits after age 18, a child must be unmarried and a full-time student or incapable of self-support due to a disability which onset before age 18.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.