Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Senior Executive Service

How does the pay freeze impact SES members who transfer to an SES position in another agency?

Under section 147(c) of the Act, an agency may grant a basic pay increase to an SES member who transfers from another agency only if the change of position results in a substantial increase in responsibility and consistent with applicable statutory and regulatory requirements. Once granted, the pay adjustment would initiate a 12-month restriction. The agency determines whether a pay increase is justified under section 147(c) under such procedures as the agency head may establish. The procedures should include, as appropriate, review by an official at a higher level than the agency official otherwise authorized to set pay and must ensure verification and objective comparison of the positions' relative responsibilities.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.