What does an agency need to do to obtain an agency-specific Direct-Hire Authority (DHA)?
Requests for Direct-Hire Authority (DHA) must be based on a severe shortage of candidates or a critical hiring need. The information required depends on the basis for the request. The assumption is that most DHA requests resulting from a pandemic health crisis would be based on a critical hiring need.
The agency head (or designee) must submit a request to OPM for a DHA based on a critical hiring need. The following information must be included:
- The position(s) that must be filled
- A description of the event or circumstance that has created the need to fill the position(s)
- The duration for which the critical need is expected to exist
- Supporting evidence that demonstrates why the use of other hiring authorities is impracticable or ineffective
The agency head (or designee) must submit a request to OPM with the position or positions that are difficult to fill for a DHA based on a severe shortage of candidates. The following information must be included:
- The results of workforce planning and analysis, e.g., the agency's emergency plan for pandemic influenza
- The existence of nationwide or geographic skill shortages
- Agency efforts, including recruitment initiatives or use of other appointing authorities and flexibilities, and an explanation of why these efforts have been insufficient
- The availability and quality of candidates
- The desirability of the geographic location, duties, and/or work environment associated with the position(s)
Agencies should submit their requests to:
Human Resources Specialist