1099R Taxable amount is listed as 'Unknown'. What does that mean?
If your 1099R Statement Box 2.a for the Taxable Amount is marked as 'Unknown'; this means that OPM did not calculate the tax-free portion of your annuity. Some of the most common reasons for not calculating the tax-free portion of your annuity:
- Your case is a Disability Retirement
- You retired prior to November 19, 1996
- You have Voluntary Contributions
- Apportionment was paid to your former spouse(s)
- Your case has not been finalized and you are in Interim pay status
- You have Survivor benefits payable and/or
- Your case is an Office of Workers Compensation case
OPM CAN NOT provide tax advice. Please contact the Internal Revenue Service toll free at 1-800-829-1040 to speak with an agent who will provide free tax advice.