Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Personnel Documentation

How can I get a copy of my Official Personnel Folder (SF-50)?

If you have a Privacy Act request requiring a copy of documents within your Official Personnel Folder (OPF), please follow the instructions below;

If you are a current Federal employee, please contact the HR office within your agency for access to your records.

If you are a former Federal employee, you may get a copy of your most recent SF-50, or a copy of your complete Official Personnel Folder, by requesting it from the National Archives and Records Administration

National Personnel Records Center (civilian)

 1411 Boulder Blvd, Valmeyer, IL 62295.

Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing. Each request must be hand signed (in cursive) and dated (within the last year). Please identify the documents or information needed and explain the purpose of your request.

Certain basic information is needed to locate civilian personnel records and to respond to your request, including:

1. Full name.

2. Date of birth.

3. Social security number.

4. Last employing agency (including duty station) and approximate date(s) of the employment (for former Federal employees).

5. Signature

The National Personnel Records Center provides this fax # for requests:  618-935-3014.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.