Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

My ex-spouse is a Federal employee. I have a court order stating that he has to provide health insurance coverage for our children. How can I make sure his health plan covers the children?

The "Federal Employees Health Benefits Children's Equity Act of 2000" requires mandatory Self and Family enrollment coverage for FEHB-eligible employees who do not comply with a court or administrative order to provide health insurance coverage for their child(ren). You should send a copy of the court order to your ex-spouse's Human Resources Office. They will ensure that your ex-spouse has an FEHB Self and Family enrollment that provides coverage for the children.

If your ex-spouse does not have a Self and Family enrollment, his Human Resources Office will enroll him in the Self and Family option of his current FEHB plan. If his current plan is an HMO and the child(ren) don't live within the service area of this plan, they will enroll him in the Basic Option of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Service Benefit Plan. Please be sure to include your home address in your notification so that the Human Resources Office can make this determination.

The Human Resources Office will send you a copy of the SF 2809, Health Benefits Election Form. They will also send a copy to the FEHB plan so the plan can update their records and send ID cards to you. The Human Resources Office will flag your ex-spouse's health insurance records to prevent him from making a change to a Self Only enrollment for as long as the court order requires him to provide health insurance coverage to your child(ren) or until the youngest child reaches age 26, whichever occurs first.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.