Click here to skip navigation
This website uses features which update page content based on user actions. If you are using assistive technology to view web content, please ensure your settings allow for the page content to update after initial load (this is sometimes called "forms mode"). Additionally, if you are using assistive technology and would like to be notified of items via alert boxes, please follow this link to enable alert boxes for your session profile.
An official website of the United States Government.
Skip Navigation

In This Section

    Frequently Asked Questions::Can an agency give an award to an employee for his/her long service with the...

    Can an agency give an award to an employee for his/her long service with the agency?

    Recognizing an employee for his or her many years of service generally is done by giving the employee a career service certificate and/or a pin. These forms of informal recognition items usually are most appropriate for this type of accomplishment. If an agency is considering a more substantial form of recognition, such as a cash or time-off award, the agency should ensure that it is recognizing the employee for demonstrating consistent exemplary performance during the employee's long service career and not merely recognizing the employee for "serving time" or "warming the bench."

    Unexpected Error

    There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

    Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.