What hiring flexibilities are available for agencies to quickly staff critical positions without seeking OPM approval?
Agencies may use any of the following without OPM approval:
- 30-day appointments to positions for which a critical hiring need exists under Schedule A (5 CFR 213.3102(i)(2))
- 1-year, 1040-work hours per year appointments in remote/isolated locations under Schedule A (5 CFR 213.3102(i)(1))
- Temporary Appointments, not-to-exceed 120 days under 5 CFR part 316 and 330
- Direct-Hire Authority (DHA) - previously approved/established
- Re-hiring former employees (Reinstatements)
- Re-hiring retirees (when the retiree's salary is offset by the annuity amount)
- Contracting with private sector temporary firms
These authorities generally have fewer procedural steps than other hiring authorities. Of course, agencies retain the ability to use any hiring flexibilities currently available to them.