Click here to skip navigation
This website uses features which update page content based on user actions. If you are using assistive technology to view web content, please ensure your settings allow for the page content to update after initial load (this is sometimes called "forms mode"). Additionally, if you are using assistive technology and would like to be notified of items via alert boxes, please follow this link to enable alert boxes for your session profile.
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Combined Federal Campaign

Why is a "dba" (Doing business as) required from the IRS for a name change? Can a State-issued "dba" be used instead of the IRS "dba"?

OPM will accept a "dba" issued by the IRS or the State. If a nonprofit organization elects to do business under a name different from the one on their IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter, they must obtain a "dba" through either the IRS or the State and submit it with their application. While a charitable organization's eligibility status will not be decided based on the name, the name by which it is listed in the CFC Charity List, should it be found eligible, will depend on official documentation from the IRS or State sources. Additionally, ALL charitable organizations are required to include their Employee Identification Number (EIN) in their 25-word statement regardless of whether they are listed under their legal name or a "dba".

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.