Click here to skip navigation
This website uses features which update page content based on user actions. If you are using assistive technology to view web content, please ensure your settings allow for the page content to update after initial load (this is sometimes called "forms mode"). Additionally, if you are using assistive technology and would like to be notified of items via alert boxes, please follow this link to enable alert boxes for your session profile.
An official website of the United States Government.
Skip Navigation

In This Section

    Frequently Asked Questions::Why does the Office of Personnel Management prohibit converting time-off awards to cash?

    Why does the Office of Personnel Management prohibit converting time-off awards to cash?

    The "currency" of a time-off award is time, not money. Agencies have the authority to grant cash awards when they feel that is the appropriate form of recognition or incentive. In addition, a method for conversion would have to be developed. The obvious, apparently straightforward, method is to convert time to cash using an hourly rate of pay. However, this eliminates any benefit derived from perceived equity and lower-graded employees may well find such salary-based conversion unfair. For example, a fairly common practice is for an agency to grant a mixed-grade group of employees equal time-off awards. In such circumstances, the awards would convert to cash very unequally. In addition, agencies would face several administrative issues. For instance, they could face administrative problems associated with "withdrawing" a reported time-off award and "substituting" a cash award which would impact the integrity of agency and Office of Personnel Management reports on award use.

    Unexpected Error

    There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

    Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.