Page Revision: 6/14/2012 9:15:08 AM
Training & Performance Management
Performance Management is the systematic process by which an agency involves its employees, as individuals and members of a group, in improving organizational effectiveness in the accomplishment of agency mission and goals.
The singular function of training within performance management is to help produce change. Training facilitates the upgrading of a person’s skill or the addition of a new skill, which in turn can bring about the desired change an agency is seeking at the individual level and/or at the organizational level.
It is important to understand that training in and of itself cannot improve performance. However, training is an integral part of what is needed to accomplish individual and organizational goals.
The purpose of this page is to provide agencies with:
- Tools to train and inform executives and other interested stakeholders on the Basic SES Appraisal System
- Resources to assist in training employees, supervisors, managers and executives on performance measurement and performance management
- Resources to assist in training on using analytics
Memoranda/publications related to performance management and using analytics
- Making the Right Connections: Targeting the Best Competencies for Training
This webcast features the Merit Systems Protection Board study on the trainability of competencies. This study is useful in determining methods of training for various competenies.
- OPM’s Training Evaluation Field Guide
This video provides a synopsis of OPM's Training Evaluation Field Guide. Agencies should use the field guide to evaluate the effectiveness of their training and training programs.
- NRC New Supervisor Training—Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) & National Cancer Institute (NCI)
These webcasts are examples of how agencies consider training in the the performance of their supervisors (the NCI training begins at 26 min:55sec)
OPM is currently hosting a series of webcasts on using analytics led by agencies identified as Best Practice agencies in the President's FY 13 Budget and in the Partnership for Public Service's publication From Data to Decisions. We will post the webcasts shortly.
Performance Management Products
- SES performance appraisal system training slides
- OPM Training and Performance Management Forum Slides 6/12 2012
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI) suite of training courses on Performance Management (on www.hru.gov)
- HR University Manager's Corner --free and low cost training for managers and supervisors on performance management
- Validating Measures Performance Plans: Selected Approaches for Verification and Validation of Agency Performance Information, GAO/GGD-99-139, July 30, 1999. http://www.gao.gov/products/GGD-99-139
- Scope of Performance Work The Results Act: An Evaluator’s Guide to Assessing Agency Annual Performance Plans, version 1, GAO/GGD-10.1.20, April 1998. http://www.gao.gov/products/GGD-10.1.20
- Planning, Goal-Setting and Prioritization The Results Act: An Evaluator’s Guide to Assessing Agency Annual Performance Plans, version 1, GAO/GGD-10.1.20, April 1998. http://www.gao.gov/products/GGD-10.1.20; and
Performance Measurement Products
Using Analytics Products
Current, Free Training/Webinars
Other Government-wide Resources
U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO)
U.S. Congressional Research Service (CRS)
American Evaluation Association (AEA)