Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.
Skip Navigation

In This Section

Insurance FAQs


  • Yes. Your agency is supposed to give you notice on the loss of group coverage and the right to convert when your insurance ends. We know, however, that sometimes this does not happen.  If your agency does not give you the conversion notice, you can request a conversion by writing directly to the Office of Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (OFEGLI) at  OFEGLI P.O. BOX 8149 LONG ISLAND CITY, NY 11101-8149.  For overnight deliveries only (such as express mail):  OFEGLI  FEGLI CONVERSION TEAM  5TH FLOOR  27-01 QUEENS PLAZA NORTH  QUEENS, NY 11101 The request must be postmarked within 31 days after the date of the terminating event. Conversions are effective at the end of the 31-day extension of coverage. If you are unable to mail the request within 31 days, you may qualify for a belated election. You must mail the request to OFEGLI within six months after the date you first became eligible to convert. Your request must show that you were not notified of the loss of coverage and the right to convert or you weren't able to convert for reasons beyond your control. Belated conversions are made retroactive to the end of the 31-day extension of coverage and you must pay the retroactive premiums. You can contact OFEGLI at 1-800-633-4542.
    How well did this answer your question? Submit
    Submitting rating...
    Thank you for your feedback!
    An error occurred while trying to submit your feedback.
    Please try again later.

Total Count: 121, Number of Pages: 7, Page: 7
Control Panel