Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Retirement / faq / FERS Annuity Supplement Survey

Learn more about the FERS Annuity Supplement Survey

FAQs and answers about the FERS Annuity Supplement Survey.

Questions and answers

The annuity supplement portion of your monthly payment is subject to an annual earnings test. You have received the FERS Annuity Supplement Survey to determine if you earned more than then exempt amount ($19,560 for 2022) set by the Social Security Administration. If you earned more than the exempt amount, your supplement will be reduced $1 for every $2 you go over the limit.

Your annuity is not affected.

The exempt amount for the FERS annuity supplement is $19,560 in 2022.

You do not have to return the FERS Annuity Supplement Survey form if you earned less than the exempt amount, unless your supplement had been reduced in a previous year.

You should count your net earnings, e.g. your earnings after expenses.

You should report any earned income in the prior year after retirement.

"Earned Income" means:

  • Any salary or pay you received working for someone else (including overtime, vacation pay, bonuses, and severance pay, etc.);
  • If you are self-employed, any self-employment net earnings made from working or managing your own business;
  • Deferred income (income you earned but didn't receive during this calendar year); and
  • If you are re-employed in Federal service, the gross income before your employing agency offsets your salary.

Generally, all income subject to Federal Employment taxes or self-employment net profit is considered earned income. Work wages are on any W-2 statement issued by an employer.

Do not include any income earned before retirement.

Income reported on IRS Form 1099 are not considered earned income and should not be reported, such as: Civil Service Retirement benefits, annuities, pensions, Social Security benefits, Veteran's benefits, and military retired pay, withdrawals from 401K plans, unemployment compensation, workers' compensation, interest and dividends from savings accounts, stocks, personal loans, or home mortgages held, insurance proceeds, gifts, inheritances, estates, trusts, endowments, prizes, awards, gambling or lottery winnings, alimony/child support, scholarships or fellowships, pay for jury duty, capital gains from the sale of personal property, amounts received in court actions, and rents or royalties unless received in the course of your trade or business.

No, the Social Security disability benefit does not cancel out the FERS annuity supplement.

No, TSP disbursements do not count as earnings.

Are you under 62 for the tax year in question? If so, request reinstatement in writing, and list your claim number, phone number, and a return address on your signed request. Provide your 1040 tax returns for the year in question, associated W-2s (both you and spouse if filed jointly), and the Social Security Administration’s Summary of Earnings Report. Please fax this documentation to Retirement Surveys and Students at (202) 606-0022. This documentation may also be mailed to the following address:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Surveys and Students, TRB-2416
FERS Supplement Survey
1900 E St, NW
Washington, D.C. 20415

You do not have to return the FERS Annuity Supplement Survey form, unless your supplement has been reduced in a previous year.

Was this helpful?

Was this helpful?

Contact us for more support

Report a Death

To report a death of a Retired Federal Employee or Current Federal Employee, please click the link below that applies:

Submit your information below and one of our Customer Service Specialists will begin working on your request. All fields are required. We usually respond within 3 to 5 business days.

Please be advised that the information submitted must be entered by the annuitant or on behalf of the annuitant by the Representative Payee.

Before proceeding, please fill in your claim number.
(Person associated with the CSA/F number above) (Person associated with the CSA/F number above) (Email address you would like our reply to be sent) (Person associated with the CSA/F number above) (Person associated with the CSA/F number above)
Clear all

Control Panel