Questions and answers
If you are a Federal ANNUITANT or compensationer:
OPM's Retirement Office is the only office with access to your FEGLI life insurance records. There are three ways to access your FEGLI coverage information:
1. Log on to Retirement Services Online to view and print a Verification of Life Insurance (VOLI). Your VOLI will show which types of FEGLI coverage you have, your amount of coverage before reduction, your post-65 reductions, and your amount of coverage after reductions complete.
2. Email email@example.com to request that your VOLI be mailed to you. Be sure to include your retirement claim number (CSA/CSF) in your email.
3. Call 1-888-767-6738 to request that your VOLI be mailed to you. The phone lines are open Monday through Friday 7:40 am to 5:00 pm eastern time. The phone lines can get extremely busy so we recommend calling early in the morning or late in the evening when the lines are less busy. Have your retirement claim number (CSA/CSF) or social security number handy.
Your FEGLI beneficiary records are not available online. If you wish to change your FEGLI life insurance beneficiaries, complete this form and mail it to OPM's Retirement Office at the address on page 3: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf2823.pdf
If you are a Federal EMPLOYEE:
Contact your human resources office. The office that maintains your Official Personnel Folder (OPF) or its equivalent is the only office with access to your FEGLI life insurance records. If you do not know what office that is or how to contact them, check with your supervisor.
You can also look on a copy of your most recent Standard Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action, to determine the coverage you currently have:
- In Block 27 on that form, there is a 2-character code that represents your current coverage and a definition of the code.
- You can look up the SF50 codes and what they mean.
- You can then use the FEGLI Calculator to determine the current value of your FEGLI by inputting your current age, salary and type(s) of FEGLI coverage.
If you wish to change your FEGLI life insurance beneficiaries, complete this form and submit it to your human resources office: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf2823.pdf