Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

I'm leaving Federal Service (not retiring)



If you leave Federal Service, you may be eligible for Temporary Continuation of Coverage (TCC) for up to 18 months under the FEHB. TCC is a feature of the (FEHB) Program that allows certain people to temporarily continue their FEHB coverage after regular coverage ends. Important: You must exhaust TCC eligibility as one condition for guaranteed access to individual health coverage under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.

TCC enrollees must pay the full premium for the plan they select (that is, both the employee and Government shares of the premium) plus a 2% administrative charge.

Here are links to additional information on TCC:

Dental or Vision

You cannot enroll or continue FEDVIP enrollment after you leave Federal Service (not retiring). There is no 31 day temporary extension of coverage or opportunity to convert to private coverage. Your coverage ends on the last day of the pay period during which you separate.


You are entitled to a free 31 day extension of coverage and conversion privilege to a nongroup policy. Your employing office must complete an Agency Certification of Insurance Status (SF 2821) and a Notice of Conversion Privilege (SF 2819), the same as for any other termination action.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Your FSAFEDS coverage terminates when you separate.

Long Term Care

This will not affect your FLTCIP coverage. Your coverage will remain in effect as long as you continue to pay premiums. If you pay your premiums through payroll deduction, you will need to contact Long Term Care Partners at 1-800-LTCFEDS (1-800-582-3337) to make other billing arrangements. You may also complete the Billing Change Form which can be found at

Control Panel