Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Domestic Partner Benefits FAQ

May I designate my same-sex domestic partner for a survivor benefit under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or the Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS)?
 Yes. A Federal employee or annuitant may designate any individual, including a same-sex domestic partner, to receive lump-sum amounts payable on his or her death. Employees or annuitants who wish to designate their same-sex domestic partner to receive a lump sum benefit may designate the domestic partner as beneficiary on SF 2808 (for CSRS) or SF 3102 (for FERS).

Lump-sum benefits are paid in accordance with the statutory order of precedence under 5 U.S.C. § 8342(c) (CSRS) or 5 U.S.C. § 8424(d) (FERS). Same-sex domestic partners are not among those listed in the statutory order of preference. Therefore, in order for same-sex domestic partners to receive lump-sum benefits, employees or annuitants must designate their same-sex domestic partners under the first order of precedence (through a designated beneficiary) using SF 2808, Designation of Beneficiary, Civil Service Retirement System and SF 3102, Designation of Beneficiary, Federal Employees Retirement System.

Return to FAQ Home

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.