Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Domestic Partner Benefits FAQ

What types of leave may I take to care for the medical needs or death of my same-sex domestic partner, the children of my same-sex domestic partner, or other relatives of my same-sex domestic partner?

In addition to annual leave, same-sex domestic partners, the children of an employee’s same-sex domestic partner, and some other relatives of the employee’s same-sex domestic partner have been identified by OPM as  “family members” for the purposes of sick leave (5 C.F.R. § 630.201), funeral leave (5 C.F.R. § 630.803), the Voluntary Leave Transfer (VLTP) Program (5 C.F.R. § 630.902), the Voluntary Leave Bank (VLBP) Program (5 C.F.R. § 630.1002), and the Emergency Leave Transfer (ELT) Program (5 C.F.R. § 630.1102).  For information on the family members covered, please see OPM’s fact sheet Definitions Related to Family Member and Immediate Relative for Purposes of Sick Leave, Funeral Leave, Voluntary Leave Transfer, Voluntary Leave Bank, and Emergency Leave Transfer (

More details may be found in the OPM fact sheets:

Sick Leave (General Information)(, 

Sick Leave for Family Care or Bereavement Purposes(, 

Sick Leave to Care for a Family Member with a Serious Health Condition (, 

Voluntary Leave Transfer Program(,  

Voluntary Leave Bank Program(, and 

Emergency Leave Transfer Program(


Return to FAQ Home

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.