Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Pandemic FAQ

If I exhaust all of my annual and sick leave, what are my options?
There are a number of alternatives for an employee who has exhausted his or her accrued annual and sick leave. An employee may request advanced annual and/or advanced sick leave. The amount of annual leave that may be advanced may not exceed the amount the employee will accrue during the remainder of the leave year. A maximum of 30 days of sick leave may be advanced for an employee’s serious disability or ailment. In addition, an employee who has a personal or family medical emergency and who has exhausted his or her own available paid leave may be eligible to receive donated annual leave from his or her agency’s voluntary leave transfer or leave bank program. If OPM has established an emergency leave transfer program, the employee also may be eligible to receive donated leave from the emergency leave transfer program. An employee may also request leave without pay. Employees should consult with their agency human resources office to determine how their agency policy applies to their situation.

Return to FAQ Home

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.