Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

Must I obtain a court order for custody in order to cover my foster child on my health benefits enrollment?

A court order for permanent custody is acceptable as proof of dependency, but is not necessarily required.

However, a court order for temporary custody or a Power of Attorney is not acceptable proof for health benefits enrollment. Other acceptable proof of foster child status are:

  • evidence that the child has been included as a dependent on your tax returns for previous years;
  • canceled checks, money orders, or receipts for periodic payments received from you for or on behalf of the child;
  • evidence of goods or services which show regular or substantial contributions of considerable value; and
  • sworn affidavits from people unrelated to you that the child lives in your home.

The employing office will ultimately make the final decision as to what proof is acceptable in an individual case.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.