Questions and answers
If a court order awards you a portion of your former spouse’s retirement benefit, you must apply in writing to OPM. No special form is required. Your application letter must be accompanied by—
- A court-certified copy of the court order acceptable for processing directing OPM to pay you a portion of your former spouse’s employee annuity.
- A statement/certification that the court order is currently in force and has not been amended, superseded, or set aside.
- Sufficient information for OPM to identify the employee or retiree, such as your former spouse’s full name, CSRS or FERS claim number, date of birth, and social security number.
- Your current mailing address and the current mailing address of your former spouse.
- When a court order is subject to termination upon remarriage no payment can be made without further statement that remarriage has not occurred.
Please send your request to the address below:
Office of Personnel Management
Court Ordered Benefits Branch
P.O. Box 17
Washington, DC 20044-0017
For more information about court-ordered benefits, visit the links below: