Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Benefits for LGBT Federal Employees and Annuitants

Can a retired Federal gay Employee change their status from single to married if they get married? I have been with my partner for 30 years and retired in 1996. Only recently has our state allowed gay marriages.

Yes. If you are a retiree under the Civil Service Retirement System or the Federal Employee Retirement System, contact OPM to make changes to your retirement based on your marriage.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.