Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Benefits for LGBT Federal Employees and Annuitants

May I take Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) to care for the medical needs of my same-sex domestic partner, or the children of my same-sex domestic partner?

Because the individuals for whom an employee can provide care under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) are specified in statute, an employee may take FMLA leave only to care for spouses, sons and daughters under 18 or over 18 but incapable of self care because of a mental or physical disability, and parents.  Employees may take FMLA leave for the care of sons and daughters of their same-sex domestic partner.  See Compensation Policy Memorandum (CPM) 2010-15, Interpretation of “Son or Daughter” Under the Family and Medical Leave Act, August 31, 2010 ( 


Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.