Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Benefits for LGBT Federal Employees and Annuitants

Do I need to provide documentation to establish that I am in a domestic partnership?

Generally, agencies may choose whether or not to require employees to provide documentation (such as a sworn affidavit) to establish the existence of a domestic partnership with respect to specific benefits. In determining whether to require documentation, however, agencies must consider whether a similar requirement is imposed upon opposite-sex spouses, consistent with the President’s intention that same-sex domestic partners be treated in the same manner as opposite-sex spouses for purposes of these benefits, to the extent permitted by law.


With respect to certain benefits, however, documentation is required by regulation.  For example, 5 CFR § 875.213 states that, for the purpose of the Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program, and as prescribed by OPM, domestic partners “will be required to provide documentation to demonstrate that you meet these requirements.”

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.