Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

What if I need to report a name change?

Before we update your retirement record with a new name, you must make the name change first with the Social Security Administration (SSA), and provide us with proof the same name is on file with the SSA. Per Internal Revenue Service guidance, the name OPM has on file must be the same as the one on file with SSA. More information can be found at

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.