Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

How do I apply for spouse equity coverage?

Applying for spouse equity coverage is a three-step process:
1. You must notify your former spouse’s employing office in writing that you want to apply for spouse equity coverage;
2. You must ask your former spouse’s retirement system to determine if you qualify based on either your court order or your former spouse’s survivor annuity election when he/she retired. The employing office will tell you how to request this determination;
3. Send this determination to the employing office.  If you qualify for coverage, it will send you a health benefits election form so you can choose a health benefits plan and option.  The employing office will initiate your enrollment when it receives your completed form.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.