Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

If both spouses are Federal employees, can each of them apply for individual reimbursement maximum on health care flexible spending accounts (FSAFEDs)? If so, how will this be deducted with the paperless system when the health care is in one spouse’s name?

Health care flexible spending accounts have an individual maximum, not a household maximum.  You and your spouse can each submit claims up to the flexible spending account maximum. 

There are two ways you can do paperless reimbursement in this scenario.  During the enrollment process, you can select Shared Account Processing.  This would allow the paperless reimbursement to initially come from the FEHB holder’s account.  Once that is depleted, it would come from the spouse’s account.

Alternatively, you can enroll regularly and submit claims manually to the non-FEHB accountholder.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.