Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

How do I reduce or cancel FEGLI life insurance?

 You can reduce or cancel your FEGLI life insurance at any time, without waiting for an open season. 

 If you are an employee, submit an SF 2817 to your human resources office, signing only for the coverage you want to keep. 

 If you are retired, there is no form; you must write a signed letter to OPM's Retirement Office stating clearly the reduction or cancellation you want to make.  Be sure to include your signature, annuity number (CSA/CSF) or social security number, and your phone number.  Send the letter to:

Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045

 Please note that you cannot enroll, increase coverage, or restore cancelled coverage after you have retired.

Changing beneficiaries:

 You can change beneficiaries at any time, without waiting for an open season.  Submit an SF 2823 to your human resources office, or to OPM's Retirement Office if you have retired.  The address for OPM's Retirement Office is on page 3 of the form.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.