Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

My ex-wife and I are both Federal employees who each have a Self and Family enrollment. Can our children be covered by both of our plans?

No, the children are entitled to receive benefits under only one enrollment.  Generally, when divorce occurs, one parent will enroll in Self Only coverage and the other parent will enroll in Self and Family coverage to provide benefits for the children.  If there is a reason for both parents to enroll in Self and Family coverage (i.e., both parents have remarried and need Self and Family enrollments to cover their new spouses and stepchildren), each enrollee must notify his or her insurance carrier of the name(s) of the child(ren) to be covered under his/her enrollment to prevent ant child from receiving dual coverage under FEHB (which is prohibited by Federal law). In cases where there are only two children, each parent could enroll in Self Plus One where they can each designate an eligible child.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.