Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

If I enroll in a health care flexible spending account in preparation for surgery, will I be able to start contributing once I incur the bill in June? Will FSAFEDS pay for the bill at that time or only what I have contributed for that short time?

No, your FSAFEDS contributions are deducted in equal installments throughout the year, or you can accelerate your allotments during the beginning of the year if you choose.  You cannot begin contributing in the middle of the year unless you enroll in the middle of the year due to a Qualifying Life Event.  

All of your health care FSA funds are available for reimbursement on January 1 of the benefit period.  Dependent care FSA funds, on the other hand, are only available up to the amount you have contributed to date. 

For more information please visit:  

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.