Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

What if I am covered under CSRS?

You are generally better off with premium conversion. Your tax savings are slightly less, since you don't pay Social Security taxes. However, a reduction in Social Security benefits is not an issue for you since Social Security is not a component of your Civil Service Retirement. Even if you have Social Security coverage as a result of a non-Federal job, premium conversion would not change your Social Security benefit.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.