Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

I received poor service from a health plan. Is there somewhere I can file a complaint?

If you disagree with the plan’s decision on your claim, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program provides for an appeal process.  Check your plans FEHB brochure to see if the service is covered, limited, or excluded.

Review and follow the directions in the disputed claims section (Section 8) of the brochure. This section will tell you how to ask the plan to reconsider your claim. You must explain why (in terms of the applicable brochure coverage provisions) you feel the services should be covered.

If the plan again denies the claim, read the plan's decision letter carefully. Then, check your plan's brochure again. If you still disagree with the plan's decision, the disputed claims section of the brochure will tell you how to write to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to ask us to review the claim.


If you have a complaint that is not related to a disputed claim, email your complaint to

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.