Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Combined Federal Campaign

Why is a "dba" (Doing business as) required from the IRS for a name change? Can a State-issued "dba" be used instead of the IRS "dba"?

OPM will accept a "dba" documentation issued by either the IRS or the state. If a nonprofit organization elects to do business under a name that is different from the one on its IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter, it must obtain "dba" documentation through either the IRS or the state and submit it with the application. While a charitable organization's eligibility status will not be decided based on the name, the name by which it is listed in the CFC Charity List, should the organization be found eligible, will depend on official documentation from the IRS or state sources. Additionally, all charitable organizations are required to include their Employee Identification Number (EIN) in their 25-word statement regardless of whether they are listed under their legal name or a "dba".

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.