Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

I work in an agency Human Resource office. Recently, while processing the personnel file of an employee who died, I noticed that the individual had the wrong retirement coverage. Should I register the individual in the FERCCA Database under his name and Social Security number or register his wife, as his survivor, using her name and Social Security number?

You should register the survivor using her name and Social Security number. There is a designated field on the Survivor registration form to enter the decedent's name, date of birth and Social Security number. There is also a mandatory field, which requires the OPM claim number. In a case such as this, put an "F" as the claim number suffix (CSF) and enter all 0's as the claim number. In the comments field, include the date of death along with the agency and sub agency the decedent last worked for.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.