Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

Are there other records I should check?

You should review your designation of beneficiary for the lump sum payment of retirement contributions when no one is eligible for monthly payments. This designation is made on a Standard Form 2808 for the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) or a Standard Form 3102 for the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). Make sure the form shows the person or people you want designated. If a copy is not available to review, you may wish to file a new designation.

If you transferred to FERS, any prior designation you made for CSRS coverage is canceled. You may wish to file a FERS designation. If you were automatically transferred to FERS coverage from CSRS, your designation will remain in force.

If there is no designation of beneficiary, benefits will be paid in the following order:

  1. Your widow or widower.
  2. Your children in equal shares.
  3. Your parents in equal shares.
  4. Your appointed executor or administrator of your estate.
  5. Your next of kin under the laws of the state you reside in when you die.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.