Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

How does my personnel office process my application?

Your personnel office must take the following actions to process your retirement application:

  • Complete the "Agency Check List of Immediate Retirement Procedures," Standard Form 2801, Schedule D (CSRS) or 3701, Schedule D (FERS);

  • Prepare and obtain your signature on the "Certified Summary of Federal Service," Standard Form 2801-1 (CSRS) or 3701-1 (FERS);

  • Verify any service not fully documented in your OPF; [Note:If documentation is missing, verification may be obtained by contacting federal record centers. If the personnel office is unable to obtain verification, we will complete verification upon receipt of your retirement application and records. This process will cause a delay in processing of your claim.]

  • Certify and transfer your coverage under the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) program to OPM;

  • Transfer your enrollment under the Federal Employees' Health Benefits (FEHB) program to OPM;

  • Prepare Standard Form (SF) 50, "Notification of Personnel Action."; and

  • Send all of your retirement materials to your payroll office.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.