Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

How do I find out if I am eligible for Medicare coverage?

You should contact the Social Security Administration at least three months before your 65th birthday to apply for benefits. The Social Security Administration will have records pertaining to your eligibility for Medicare coverage.  If they do not, and you or your employer need to get a statement of your earnings for this purpose, you can write to:

General Services Administration
National Personnel Records Center
Civilian Personnel Records
111 Winnebago Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63118

You should provide the following information in your request:

  • your name, as shown on your payroll records;
  • date of birth;
  • Social Security Number;
  • mailing address;
  • years for which earnings are needed;
  • name and location of employer for each year;
  • reason for request;
  • written signature; and,
  • a statement that all other sources of information have been exhausted.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.