Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Veterans

Who determines eligibility for veterans’ preference?

Congress determines eligibility for veterans’ preference through law in 5 USC 2108. However, the Federal agency to which a veteran applies for employment will adjudicate claims for veterans’ preference.  The agency will request a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or other acceptable documentation in order to adjudicate claims for veterans' preference.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.