Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Training

Must an employee sign a Continued Service Agreement (CSA) before attending training?

Yes, if an agency requires a CSA, an employee must enter into a CSA in writing before the training begins (5 U.S.C. 4108(a) and 5 CFR 410.309(b)).

A Continued Service Agreement (5 U.S.C. 4108 and 5 CFR 410.309) is a written agreement between the employee selected for training and the sponsoring Federal agency.  In the agreement, the employee agrees to (1)continue in the service of his agency after the end of the training period for at least three times the length of the training, and (2) pay to the Government incurred training expenses if he is voluntarily separated before the period of service ends. 

You should include guidance on CSAs in your agency training policy manual. For more information on CSAs, refer to the Training Administration Fast Facts Index.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.