Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Report of Death

Report of Death

How Family Members Apply for Benefits

Complete the appropriate Application for Death Benefits (SF 2800 for CSRS or SF 3104 and SF 3104B for FERS) and attach any other forms and/or evidence as the application or circumstances require.

Attach a copy of the employee’s death certificate and a copy of the certificate of the marriage to the widow or widower. Send the completed application to:

Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
ATTENTION: Survivor Processing Section
Post Office Box 45
Boyers, Pennsylvania 16017-0045

A widow or widower who is claiming benefits for himself or herself and on behalf of children should file one application.

Reporting a Death

To report the death of a retiree or person receiving benefits from the Office of Personnel Management or a Federal employee you can either call us or complete the online form: 

Control Panel