Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

Can a tribal employee continue coverage when in an insufficient or nonpay status?

  • If your tribal employer offers Leave Without Pay (i.e., unpaid leave), then yes, your coverage may continue for up to 365 days.  You must elect to continue or terminate enrollment. 
  • If you continue FEHB enrollment, you may pay premiums directly to the tribal employer or incur a debt to the tribal employer.  The tribal employer must pay premiums to the National Finance Center (NFC).
  • Nonpay status can be continuous or broken by periods of less than 4 months of pay status.
  • If you return to pay status, you must elect to enroll—it’s not automatic—and you have 60 days to enroll after returning.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.