Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

What requirement must I fulfill if I am married and decided not to provide survivor benefit for my spouse when I retire?

If married at the time of retirement, and you decide not to provide a survivor benefit, your spouse must sign the Spouse’s Consent to your Election in the presence of a notary or other authorized official.  To avoid a delay in processing, the document (SF-2801-2 for CSRS or SF-3107-2 for FERS) must accompany your application for retirement.  The consent requirement can only be waived under certain circumstances such as when the spouse’s whereabouts are unknown.

A decision not to provide a survivor benefit becomes final 30 days after the date of your first regular payment.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.