Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

What happens if my agency doesn't give me a Notice of Conversion Privilege (SF 2819)? Can I still convert my FEGLI life insurance coverage?

Yes. Your agency is supposed to give you notice on the loss of group coverage and the right to convert when your insurance ends. We know, however, that sometimes this does not happen.

If your agency does not give you the conversion notice, you can request a conversion by writing directly to the Office of Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance (OFEGLI) at

P.O. BOX 8149

For overnight deliveries only (such as express mail):

200 Park Avenue, 5TH FLOOR 
New York, NY 10166-0188

The request must be postmarked within 31 days after the date of the terminating event. 

Conversions are effective at the end of the 31-day extension of coverage.

If you are unable to mail the request within 31 days, you may qualify for a belated election. You must mail the request to OFEGLI
 within six months after the date you first became eligible to convert. Your request must show that you were not notified of the loss of coverage and the right to convert or you weren't able to convert for reasons beyond your control.

Belated conversions are made retroactive to the end of the 31-day extension of coverage and you must pay the retroactive premiums.

You can contact OFEGLI at 1-800-633-4542.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.