Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Benefits for LGBT Federal Employees and Annuitants

May I designate my same-sex domestic partner to receive any lump-sum amounts payable under CSRS or FERS on my death?

Yes.  Lump-sum amounts payable on the death of a Federal employee or annuitant may be designated to go to any individual.  If an employee or annuitant wishes to designate their same sex domestic partners to receive a lump sum, it is imperative that they do so affirmatively by making an election on an SF 2808.

Lump-sum benefits are paid in accordance with the statutory order of precedence under 5 U.S.C. § 8342(c) (CSRS) ( or 5 U.S.C. § 8424(d) (FERS) (  Same-sex domestic partners are not among those listed in the statutory order of preference. Further, a same sex spouse cannot receive lump-sum benefits as a “widow” or “widower” under the statutory order of precedence (i.e., the second order of precedence under 5 U.S.C. §§ 8342(d) and 8424(d)) as a result of DOMA.   Therefore, in order for same-sex domestic partners or spouses to receive lump-sum benefits, employees or annuitants must designate their same-sex domestic partners or spouses under the first order of precedence (through a designated beneficiary) using SF 2808, Designation of Beneficiary, Civil Service Retirement System (, and SF 3102, Designation of Beneficiary, Federal Employees Retirement System (


Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.