Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

I'm retiring. My agency says I'm in the wrong retirement plan. Under FERCCA I'll be able to choose which retirement plan I want. I need to pay my military deposit before I leave. My agency doesn't know whether to compute a CSRS or FERS military deposit. What do I do?

Wait until you choose retirement plans to pay the military deposit. You'll have an opportunity to pay your military deposit once you've received detailed information about your benefits options and made your choice. It won't matter that you're a retiree, and no longer a Federal employee. Before you're asked to choose retirement plans, OPM will give you information about your benefits under both CSRS and FERS. They will tell you how much you owe under both. They will also explain how payment of a deposit will affect your benefit, and let you know whether you will be able to receive credit for the service by taking an actuarial reduction in your annuity.

If, in the meantime, you want to know how much you'll owe so you can put the money aside, ask your agency to estimate the deposit under both CSRS and FERS rules.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.