Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

I'm moving and/or going to work for another Federal agency



If you are enrolled in an HMO and you move or become employed outside the HMO's service area (or, if you are already living or working outside this area, you move or become employed further away), you may change your enrollment. Also, you may change your enrollment if an enrolled family member moves outside the service area (or moves further away). You must notify your employing office of the move.

If you are enrolled in a nationwide FEHB plan, you will have coverage even if you move outside the United States. You may enroll or change enrollment when you transfer from a duty post within the United States to a duty post outside the United States or the reverse. You have 31 days before the date you are expected to leave your former duty post and 60 days after your arrival at the new duty post to enroll or change enrollment. If you need assistance, contact your employing office.

You should complete an SF 2809 to change from the old plan to a new plan that provides coverage in your new area. You can make the plan change upon notifying your employing office of the move.

If you are at an overseas duty post at the time of your retirement, you may change your enrollment within 60 days after your retirement. Your retirement system can assist you in making this change.

If you transfer to another agency, your enrollment and coverage continue without change when you transfer from one payroll office to another without a break in service of more than 3 days. Your employing office will promptly take action to transfer your enrollment.

Dental or Vision

If your move results in you living outside of your current plan's service area, you will be able to change plans as a Qualifying Life Event. If you are still within your plan's service area after the move, you cannot change plans until the next Federal Benefits Open Season.

Your dental plan premiums may change if your new ZIP code places you in a different rating area.

Log into your BENEFEDS account at to make any necessary changes to your enrollment. If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.

You may cancel your FEDVIP enrollment if you transfer to an agency which offers its own dental or vision insurance plan and pays 50% or more of the premium and you elect to enroll in that plan. Contact your agency's benefits officer at your new agency and ask him/her to call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680 to discuss your transfer and desire to cancel your FEDVIP enrollment.


FEGLI benefits are payable regardless of location at time of death. Your coverage is portable and continues upon your separation/transfer to another Federal agency or duty station. But transferring to another agency without a break in service is NOT an opportunity to elect new coverage.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Moving does not allow you to enroll in FSAFEDS or change a current election.

If you are currently enrolled in FSAFEDS and going to another agency – you must call FSAFEDS at 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 1-800-952-0450 to notify them of the change.

If you are NOT enrolled in FSAFEDS and you are going to another agency you may be able to enroll if your new agency participates with FSAFEDS. Call FSAFEDS at 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 1-800-952-0450 for additional information.

Long Term Care

Your FLTCIP coverage and premiums do not change if you move within the United States. The Program also provides benefits for covered services you receive outside the United States, its territories and possessions. When you receive covered services internationally, the FLTCIP will pay benefits for such services up to 80% of the maximum amounts that would otherwise be payable.

Changing agencies does not affect your FLTCIP coverage, but if you pay your premium with payroll deduction, you will need to contact Long Term Care Partners and provide them with the name of your new agency.

Control Panel